The holidays are approaching! While we all enjoy the gathering of family and friends, lots of food and festive fun, we’re also faced with colder weather. So, while you are decorating your home and getting it into tip top shape for family and friends, don’t forget these easy winterizing tips that can help prevent costly repairs. On a budget, no worries…we’ve got you covered!
Many homeowners avoid inspections or maintenance for fee or expensive cost and unnecessary repairs. The reality is that there are several DIY and budget friendly quick fixes that can avoid expensive energy bills and future costly repairs. Many contractors, HVAC specialists, electricians, plumbers offer FREE, no obligation inspections, so take advantage of those opportunities. Keep an eye out for season specials offered by watching for direct mailers at your home to take advantage of the offers and keep your money in your pockets! Most importantly, remember, you don’t have to rely on a single opinion. Don’t be afraid to ask more than one professional to review your home, a second opinion never hurts! Be a savvy home shopper and save!
Still not convinced that you need a professional? That’s okay, here are a few DIY tips to help you weather the winter months while saving some money!
- Caulking – a simple tube of caulking and an inexpensive caulk gun can be used to fill the gaps in your siding, windows and doors.
- Drafty doors? Purchase new weather stripping or simply place a rolled towel at the base of the door to stop the draft.
- Easy Window Insulation – simple plastic film on your windows can make them more energy efficient and less drafty!
- Make sure your furnace has a new filter.
- Clean your gutters to avoid overflow, icicles and ice dams.
- Turn down your thermostat by just 3 degrees at night and you can save three percent on your energy bill!
- Make sure ceiling fans in your home are moving in a clockwise direction. This will force the warmer air, near the ceilings, downward and help keep the living area warmer.
- Flushing your water heater allows the water heater to operate more efficiently.
- Clean your dryer vent regularly.
- Have your heating system serviced or checked by a professional each year.
- Clean your wood-burning fireplace and chimney.
- Winterize your water lines by insulating exposed pipes.
- Turn off exterior spigots
- Check your home’s insulation. A little insulation, goes a long way
- Schedule a roof inspection (PSST…Benchmark’s inspections are FREE)
- Choose the right contractor to help with any repairs (PSST…We’re here to help!)